The Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth

So here’s the score:

This is the official update site (obviously). There have been some rumors flying around about how Joey’s doing. Understandably, people are upset and sometimes things unintentionally get distorted when they are. So calm down everyone, take a deep breath, and read on.

As I wrote before, there were a few complications with his surgery, but Joey’s new lungs seem to be working well. The surgeon came in yesterday and was happy with how he is doing. The main problem that he is having right now has NOTHING to do with the original complications. That is a very good thing.

Right now, the thing that they are concerned with is that there is a clot around his lower left lobe, so some fluid has pooled AROUND the lung. The bleeding appears to be slowing down. Currently, the plan is to just wait and see if it stops on its own.

I realize that this sounds really scary and we are obviously very emotional right now as well, but it is also important to realize that nobody’s transplant journey is a totally smooth one. Problems are going to arise and we just have to deal with them as they do. Toronto has a world renowned transplant program. He is in very good hands.

We are spending as much time as we can up at the hospital, so I am updating as often as I can, but please be patient. Most likely I will be making posts in the morning before I’m allowed to visit. That’s all that’s happening for now. Kirstin…out.

K

7 thoughts on “The Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth

1. Emilie Johnson August 21, 2007 / 11:58 am

Hi,this is just the best thing agoing for up dates,thankyou very much.Kristan give Joey all the best and hang in there.I know he’s in very good hands. God bless ,love Emilie

2. Colin & Brenda Blair August 21, 2007 / 1:24 pm

Joey & Kirstin
    We are sooo happy to have read that Joey finally after all these years has NEW LUNGS!!! We think of him so often. You are all in our prayers!! We are also so pleased he was able to have the transplant done in Toronto – fabulous doctors! Curt’s heart surgeon worked in Toronto for years before he came to Vancouver. Take good care and we’ll look forward to reading the next update.
    Most sincerely,
    Colin & Brenda Blair

3. Sylvia Bandoian August 21, 2007 / 9:28 pm

Sending my love to everyone, especially Joey. I’ll keep checking online for updates. We’re all pulling for you.

Love Sylvia

4. Koren August 21, 2007 / 9:30 pm

Thanks for the update, I know you have better things you could be doing when you’re at home (like sleeping). I hope the complications clear up soon so that Joey can enjoy his new lungs.

I hope that you are taking care of yourself, I wish I was there for you. I would totally buy you that spork.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXO

5. Chuck & Sylvia Simpson August 21, 2007 / 9:47 pm

Kirstin thanks for the update.

“…nobody’s transplant journey is totally a smooth one.” This is so true, and yes you are amongst some of the very best.

You guys have been on my thoughts all day. I am very excited for both of you.

One day at a time. Were pulling for you…

The Simpson gang.

6. nancy August 21, 2007 / 10:24 pm

Hi Kirstin,
    My husband and I have been following your blog for months as we went through the same journey. He’s now had his surgery and is in hospital recovering. They tell you beforehand that you can’t imagine the stress of the days/weeks following surgery until you live it. Hang in there. It’s brutal. But then it gets better.
    Nancy

7. Debra Mattson August 22, 2007 / 1:14 pm

I’m so happy for you both! Stay strong; it’s incredible that you are even updating this blog, so don’t be worrying about sending people emails! All the good vibes are being sent your way from up North here in Sudbury. 🙂 Take care.