Back in the ICU

Not going to beat around the bush. Things are not great here. Joey had to be re-intubated (he is back on the ventilator). He was getting increasingly drowsy yesterday, so they did a blood gas test on him and his C02 levels were very high. This is what was causing the drowsiness. So, they had to put him back on the ventilator to help him get rid of all of that C02. He is under sedation again so that he is as comfortable as possible with the tube. They have been doing a bunch of different tests today to try and figure everything out, but we haven’t heard anything yet. He is back in the intensive care unit.

I’ll write more once a plan is figured out. In the meantime, I’m going to try and catch some shut-eye.

Kirstin

6 thoughts on “Back in the ICU

1. Stu & Wendy Linsdell September 11, 2007 / 9:11 pm

Hi Kirst Hang in there. With Chad it was a roller coaster ride. This is only a dip in the ride. Infection is the most dangerous of all the rides as his immune system is completly knocked out. Stu
    DEAR JOEY AND KIRSTEN,THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE CORRESPONDENCE. WE ANXIOUSLY LOOK FORWARD TO IT,AND VIRTUALLY HANG ON EVERY WORD,THOUGH IT HAS TAKEN US BACK TO OUR MEMORIES THAT QUITE OFTEN WERE NOT HAPPY ONES.WE HAVE SHED SOME TEARS AND I HAVE DAMN WELL GUSHED.HOSPITAL MEMORIES WERE TOO OFTEN VERY SAD ONES,AND ONES THAT WE DON’T WANT TO REVISIT . NONE THE LESS ,WE JUST HAD TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WE ARE VERY CLOSE AND TOTALLY UNDERSTANDING OF EVERY UP AND DOWN YOU EXPERIENCE.WE WENT FROM TRUE JUBILATION TO THE DEEP DEPTHS OF SADNESS ,TOO OFTEN. NO ONE UNDERSTANDS TILL THEY ARE THERE.
    BUT ON THE WAY UP SIDE ,YOU ARE DOING SO SO MUCH BETTER THAN CHAD EVER DID.KEEP YOUR SPIRITS UP,BE STRONG, GET YOUR REST.EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULD TRUST YOUR CAREGIVERS.IF YOU SEE SOMETHING NOT RIGHT , DON’T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT! MAKE SURE THEY WASH THEIR HANDS even the doctors BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING CONNECTED TO JOEY OR OF COURSE WEAR GLOVES.JUST A SMALL WARNING.
    IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO ASK US ANYTHING,DON’T HESITATE.STU’S MEMORY SEEMS TO BE A LOT BETTER THAN MINE ON THE TECHNICAL SIDE OF THINGS.
    WHEN YOU GET BACK TO VICTORIA WE HAVE TO COME VISIT YOU!!!!! GOD WON’T THAT BE WONDERFUL , A HEALTHY ,THRIVING ,JOEY.
    TILL THEN.
    ALL OUR LOVE ,WENDY AND STU.
    AND ALL OUR FAMILY.
    MANY ,MANY HUGS.

2. Koren September 11, 2007 / 10:30 pm

So sorry to hear the shitty news. There has to be some bumps in road, but I know that Joey will get through this. Keep your spirits up and know that everyone is sending you love and happy thoughts.

Miss you and love you time.

3. Rob from London September 12, 2007 / 1:25 pm

Hey Kirsten…on Sat. Sept. 1 I did a speech at University of Western Ontario and had 700 students go silent and think about Joey’s lungs. We did a whole visualization exercise and they envisioned him running top speed and seeing his lungs fill fully with air. We did all this then they “sent” the positive energy to Toronto. It was an amazing experience to have 700 students so quiet that you could hear their breathing with all their focus on Joey. Wish I would have had a camcorder with me to capture it for you! Keep your stick on the ice…Rob

4. Michelle Willis September 12, 2007 / 10:05 pm

Hi Kirstin,
    I am sending you all my most positve thoughts, and glad that you are taking some time for shut eye for yourself…Keep that great head of yours up!!!
    Your pal,
    Michelle

5. sharon wiltse September 13, 2007 / 1:13 am

My positive thoughts going your way also, Kristen. I just came back from a Canadian Lung Transplant symposium. The Toronto team was well represented and they are an awesome group. I am very confident that Joey is getting the best care possible.
    Take care of yourself, stay strong.
    Sharon

6. Brandy September 13, 2007 / 10:45 am

Thinking of you lots – Joey will get through this – he’s strong!!

Brandy & Bruce