You’re Joe Whitford

Joey’s lungs are not good right now. All signs are pointing to a really bad pneumonia (the cultures haven’t come back yet, but he has every other clinical symptom, so they are treating it like pneumonia). The X-Ray taken tonight showed that his lungs were full of junk and there is much crap to be suctioned out. It looks like CF mucus.

The breathing tube is still in. He is currently on pressure control, which means that it is the machine, not Joey, initiating his breaths. Problem is, Joey is such a fighter that he is still trying to work at breathing instead of letting the machine do the work for him, so they are giving him a drug to knock him out again so that he can get some rest, which is what he needs to get better.

We were told at the meeting this morning that it will take over a week at the very least to get an indication of whether or not things are improving. The ICU team is very concerned about him. Right now, protecting his lungs is their first priority, with everything else taking a backseat. His kidneys still aren’t working, but dialysis is on hold for today at least. Things look good with his liver, although it is sluggish. It was nice to tell him that his liver is as it should be right now and that his blood pressure is stable. I am talking to him as if he can hear me; I think he can.

There is much talk about the lack of reserves he is running on. He was very run down before his transplant. Run down, but strong willed. “They don’t know who they’re dealing with”, I told him before I came home tonight. “You’re Joe Whitford”.

Kirstin

6 thoughts on “You’re Joe Whitford

1. margand1 February 19, 2011 / 10:29 pm

Any you my love, you are Kirsten the Brave and beautiful.

2. Kim February 20, 2011 / 5:01 am

I couldn’t say it any better than Marg…Love hugs healing & anti junk fighting vibrations. Kim

3. carole February 20, 2011 / 11:27 am

Thank you so much for your brave up-dates…your courage, strength and unconditional love for Joey is just beautiful. You are wonderful, through and through and through.

It’s very difficult to read your up-dates (they are read through many, many tears), but I can’t express enough how grateful I am that you keep us up-dated…with such honesty; the good, the bad and the ugly….we need to hear it all – CF is good, bad and ugly, all at once, all of the time. So again, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Kelly thanks you too – he’s following your journey with me and he’s learning so much about CF along the way.

I want you to know that I’m thinking of Joey often, every day, and praying so hard for him. As you know, CF and I are not the best of friends (;)) and I really hate what it has done and is doing to Joey…it hurts me deeply. However, I do believe in Joey’s strength and his will to fight is very powerful. I’m sending him all of my energy…healthy, good, positive, loads of it, freakin’ energy.

Hang in there (like you always do) and know that we care, so much.

lots of love to you both, Carole xoxo

PS: I’m not very creative (at all actually) and was never cheerleader material (way too clumsy and crappy lung function), but I am rooting for Joey…so, I made a song…ready…Give me a J, give me an O, give me an E, Give me a Y…what’ you got…Joey!!!!!!! Okay, again, not very creative…but still rooting hard for him!!!!!

4. Brandy February 20, 2011 / 2:23 pm

and you’re Kirstin Kennedy! They’ve got one hell of a duo on their hands!

We’re thinking of you and sending so much positive energy your way!

Love Brandy & Bruce

5. Kimberly Burge February 20, 2011 / 2:32 pm

Should add that to the Urban Dictionary:

Joe Whitford

Defiant in the face of all shit.

“A gator bit off 2/3’s of my head but I pulled a Joe Whitford and winked at it before I pummeled it to death with my fist.”

6. carol February 20, 2011 / 3:41 pm

I knew you then as a quiet ,friendly & handsome young man, ( U… still are )
    serious, smiling,hanging out with friends, you talked, & laughed, & walked OR ran,
    I know you now,thru this update column of good & sometimes not so good ,& absorb every word every single word.
    Kirstin said it right when she said,”They dont know who they are dealing with, Your a Whitford.!!!…………….(right on Kirstin
    Love is around you both,from everyone, everywhere,
    JOEY WHITFORD , getting you well is our biggest care.
    ;P : ) ;>)))))