Now’s the Time to Fight

Things got significantly worse overnight. They changed his breathing machine again to ecmo, which bypasses the lungs entirely. The ICU team are throwing everything they have at this bug, but things are not looking good. The ICU doc told us today that a normal, healthy person with no other problems would have a 50% chance of leaving hospital after being on this machine. Obviously, that is not the case.

We told Joey that if he is going to fight, now’s the time. I know he hears us; he is on a breathing machine that is supposed to be doing all of the work for him and is on a drug that is supposed to paralyze him. When we told him what was going on, he breathed at key points in the conversation. As in: “now is the time to fight if you’re going to. You can do this. You just need to rest and let the antibiotics do their thing. We love you.” Breath.

Now we just have to wait.

Kirstin

10 thoughts on “Now’s the Time to Fight

1. Barb February 20, 2011 / 8:58 pm

Thinking of you both and sending lots of hugs your way. Fight Joey Fight!

2. George C February 20, 2011 / 9:45 pm

strong prayers coming your Kristin & Joey!

3. wenlin February 20, 2011 / 9:53 pm

Dear Kirstin,We are there with you. We join in on Barbs message “Fight Joey Fight”
    All our love, Wendy,Stu,family and friends.

4. Kim February 20, 2011 / 10:34 pm

We too join in on Barb’s “Fight Joey Fight”
    Love & hugs Kim & Steve

5. jamie salmond February 20, 2011 / 10:40 pm

Keep fighting Joey we are all rooting for you!

6. skuchka February 20, 2011 / 10:47 pm

I know he can hear you Kirstin, and I hope he can feel all the hearts swelling with love and support for both of you from across the miles. Even though we aren’t all there with you in person we are in spirit and I think I can say that if we could fight this for Joey, we would. I know I would, but I also know he has an inner strength that is like no other I have seen. Stay strong Joe. We all love you. xoxo Sar

7. PMackenzie February 20, 2011 / 11:02 pm

Our prayers and thoughts are with you both, Joey keep fighting and Kirstin you are an inspiration, your strength and love. Your right Joey has always been a fighter, and he continues to be a fighter, it’s in his blood, he comes from a long list of strong willed people.

8. kevin February 20, 2011 / 11:11 pm

FFS. This is painful to read, can’t imagine what family must feel. :/

I’m going to try some more white voodoo. Who knows, I’ve never seen any proof that it *doesn’t* work. Off to get a pillow, hoodie, and needles now…it’ll at least make me feel less helpless.

SHOW ME YOUR WAR-FACE, JOEY!

9. Kimberly Burge February 21, 2011 / 4:36 am

I can feel all the people pulling for you. It’s amazing. Keep fighting my friends.

10. jenn0576 February 21, 2011 / 8:00 am

Hugs,prayers and positive thoughts….I know you can do this Joey!!!!!jenn brown